December 21, 2005

NOT EVERY GIRL IS A SLUT!


Because of politically-correct feminist imperatives, girls now know more about sex but less about the opposite sex. There was a time when girls were told that boys were vastly different from them, possessing stronger libidos and bodies. Girls were taught to avoid placing themselves in compromising situations; they were armed with the facts upon which good judgement rested and safety depended.

Now, though, such counsel is sacrilege. Girls’ minds are filled with notions of the sameness of the sexes, with its corollary that they can go where their sisters of yore feared to tread. Why, God forbid that we should tell them that, like it or not, they are the more vulnerable sex, and that this fact of life should inform their thinking.

But equal with feminism is bad parenting — you know, the people who would let their daughters (and it’s just daughers) go on “hedonistic” vacations to Spanish-speaking countries.
Let’s be blunt, one way a daughter could frame this is, “Hey, Mom and Dad, can I go to Cancun for spring break (or to celebrate, or some other occasion)?” But translated that often means, “Hey, Mom and Dad, can I go to Cancun, where I’ll most likely have sex with some libidinous boy you don’t know from Adam – maybe even with lots of boys – drink, smoke, and perhaps even do drugs?” That sounds crazy but is, in essence, accurate. Crazier still is that the parents’ answer is often “yes.”

Now, I’m not a big fan of the entitlement issues that come along with kids who think they “deserve” an exotic vacation for high school graduation or for simply existing. But that aside, at some point parents have to evaluate whether or not they trust their kids, and they have to let their children grow up and make their own decisions. Were I a parent, would I let my 15-year-old go to Aruba alone? Probably not. But do I hope that I’ll know my 18-year-old well enough to be able to reasonably evaluate whether or not they’ll go on a sex-and-drugs spree in a foreign country.

The “girls gone wild” culture is, as far as I can tell, a non-existant part of the majority of young women’s personal experiences, and to be honest I’m sick of every female in my generation being associated with it. Young women are not all running amok flashing our breasts for beads and enticing innocent high school boys into having sex with us. Those of us who do engage in certain behaviors that this author would criticize — sexual performance to please a male audience, etc — do so as a response to a lot of complicated social factors, and it’s over-simplistic to just call those women heathen sluts and assume that their experiences are universal for young women.

Of course, what no one seems to be pointing out is that, even if we assume that “girls gone wild” are everywhere, it’s men who are videotaping them, encouraging them to behave a certain way, rewarding sexualized and male-pleasing behavior, and making money off of them. Feminism has never said, “You go, girls! Get naked for that guy and let him make millions off your ass!” We just see the dishonesty in slut-shaming and pinning all the blame on women.



Hugo Says:

Your last paragraph nails it perfectly, especially the role of men in encouraging and rewarding the behavior.


Cooper Says:

Yup Blame the victim, especially if she is a pretty girl. Don’t balme the monster sickos that murdered here. Of course it is not just men that are blaming the victim it’s women.


Lesley Says:

Let’s just look at all men with fear, apprehension, and skepticism. Reminds me of a conversation I once had with an anti-feminist man. I have this policy. I don’t invite men I don’t know well up to my apartment alone unless I’m willing to have sex with them. Seems rather common sense to me. Know what reaction I got from him? “That’s not fair! You’re treating all men like they’re potential rapists.” Really, sometimes you just can’t win.


Julie Says:

I don’t think making your daughter aware of the dangers that are out there and how to minimize her risks is a bad idea. What is a bad idea is instilling the idea that following the right rules *automatically* protects her from all of the bad things out there, implying that if something bad happens to her, it is her fault for not following some “rule”. I think that when she is old enough to understand it, you might want to have the “bad things sometimes happen even if you take all the precautions in the world” talk, and reassure her that if something bad (like rape, or assault, or other abuse) happens, it’s NOT HER FAULT. How to actually go about that is beyond me. (I think I’m glad I don’t have children of either sex at this point.)


Leslie Says:

Women basically HAVE TO think this way to (more or less) protect ourselves! There are just too many men who will press an advantage given the right circumstances. And that some of the wouldn’t even consider it to be rape!?

No comments: